Thursday, February 17, 2005

Whitney Houston vs. Fugazi

So Emo

"
So Emo" (http://noddables.cannedoxygen.com/so_emo.mp3)

"So Emo" is a mashup whose origins are complicated and rambling.

One day, my buddy SF called me and told me he had a mashup I had to hear. He played it over the phone, and I recognized Fugazi's "Repeater" but couldn't tell what the vocal over it was. I got the idea that it was Whitney Houston's "So Emotional." Because I couldn't hear it clearly, I had to figure out how it went in my head. Then I told LS about it. Not knowing the Fugazi song, she asked me how the mashup would go. We sang it as a duet--her on the Whitney part and me on the Fugazi part. (LS has a fantastic voice when you can get her to sing.)

The two of us had the acapella version pretty well down by the time we visited SF in Jersey, and we couldn't wait to hear the real thing. I'm sorry to say that, when we did, we were disappointed. It was actually Fugazi vs. Mariah Carey. Maybe SF had it mixed up--it was a white label, and therefore the record wouldn't have the information on it. Or maybe I had it mixed up. Either way, I think the Mariah song being mashed up was "Emotions," so the mistake was understandable.

(No disrespect to the person who put together the Mariah mashup--it's a fine mashup. It's just that we were expecting something else.)

SF wanted to know how we thought it would go, so LS and I rocked it live. He and J were cracking up. At this point, I knew it had to be done, but it would be another five months before I could. I had it finished around midnight on 12/22. Dare I say it was a Xmas miracle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chuck, you and my brother SF have way to muchtime on your hands.